Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Dj J. Period Presents The Best of Big Daddy Kane




Since I always spent the summer in NYC as a youngling I was subjected to hip hop’s early age. I saw the evolution of rap to hip hop. It started with RUN DMC, LL, Fat Boys, Beastie Boys these we’re my first tapes that I got, come to think about it there was some New Edition too but let’s not mention it. On a hot sticky New-York summer night, I was on my way to New-Jersey to see more family and it came on the radio, RAW by Big Daddy Kane and I was like, what is this, this is crazy and my cousin replied yeah that’s Big Daddy Kane, I was like Big Daddy who? And that was it, I was hooked. Big Daddy Kane turned out to be one of my favorite MC’s from the golden age of Hip Hop.

From my point of view, Long Live the Kane and It’s a Big Daddy Thing are straight up classics. BDK somewhat fell off after that but only because he was a visionary merging Soul with Rap (which caught on later on) and BDK jumped on the afrocentricity wagon and that didn’t help either for the rap game in 89 was not like it is today.

So all that to say on March 27th 2009, he performed in Montreal and I was there rhyming along “Rappers stepping to me they want to get some, But I'm the Kane, so yo, you know the outcome”. The show was great BDK stepped up to the stage with a fedora hat, leather pant and vest with a burgundy shirt (now how pimpin’ is that). He did his repertoire, interacted with the crowd and as the show was coming to an end I taught to myself how hip hop was just simpler back in the days and I was proud to see hip hop grow and also that I was getting old. So to la ya’ll old schoolers I know you gonna dig this and if you are not familiar with Big Daddy’s work here is a chance to discover some legendary music. BDK mixed tape, a J. Period production. I heard a lot of BDK mixtapes but nothing compares to that one and guess what... It's free.

Peace & I'm Out !

DOWNLOAD

No comments: